Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Names Have Been Changed

This blog is 12 years old, and all of that time I have been calling my two daughters The Heir and The Spare. It's what the British press called Prince William and Prince Harry.

Seemed so funny all these years.

But we live in a different time now. I've seen young lives cut short (Trayvon Martin, just one example), and the climate in this country is the worst since 1969. It has always been tempting fate to act as if either of my children was expendable.

How would I feel, using those terms, if one of them came to grief?

THEREFORE, be it resolved, that the names Heir and Spare are hereby retired.

Heir will now be Gumby (because she values her privacy).

Spare will now be Olivia, which is her beautiful real name. If she wants me to add her surname I will, but I must consult her first.

I stayed home from paint crew today, because it's my 33rd wedding anniversary. I'm nothing if not tenacious.

Postscript: The cats will continue to be called Beta and Gamma. They have names too, but they value their privacy.

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

ok; congrats on your anniversary!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr J! If I were Olivia, I'd want my pseudonym to be Pokey, just to maintain conceptual symmetry.

yellowdoggranny said...

what debra said..ha

Anonymous said...

You are a great singer

Jono said...

Gumby puts a smile on the face and Olivia is a beautiful name. Cats are fiercely private so I am glad you thought of your family's safety when giving them pseudonyms. Happy anniversary!

Laura said...

I'm late but Happy Anniversary!
blessings
~*~