Monday, May 29, 2017

Disrespectful

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," Memorial Day 2017 edition! My name is Anne Johnson, and I can feel the spirits of the soldiers who died for this country weeping for the way we are now.

Many soldiers died with weapons in their hands. How would they feel if they could see ordinary citizens, with guns slung over their backs, shopping at WalMart? Would they find that wise ... or disrespectful?

Many soldiers died fighting against people who were trying to protect slavery as an institution. The slavers had generals (quite competent ones, in fact). How would union soldiers feel about torch-bearing Americans trying to protect monuments to those Southern generals? Would they find that admirable ... or disrespectful?

Many Americans fought and died in Europe, where there is now peace. Where our enemies are now our allies, and our long-time allies are closer yet. How would they feel about a president who belittles this alliance as a "bad deal" and will not promise to uphold climate accords? Would they find that patriotic ...or disrespectful?

Disrespectful! And it starts at the top.

So, to our heroic dead, I say the following:

I'm sorry it has come to this.

I hope the situation is temporary, and we can soon correct the course.

I, too, weep for this land.

4 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I think the dead are the lucky ones..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Deep thoughts to contemplate on Memorial Day, Anne!

Jono said...

At least the dead are at peace with no worries for the future. The shitgibbon will soon be on his own. I hope he doesn't take down all the innocent bystanders, as well.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm pretty sure that my daddy who fought in Germany and France would think if they wanted to tote a gun around everywhere they went, they should join the army.