Monday, September 23, 2013

What Was I Thinking?

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where the days are longer, the nights are stronger than moonshine! The free wind is blowing in our hair ... seasons flying, no despair ... alligator lizards in the airrrrrr.....

I date the hell out of myself, don't I?

There I was, on Autumn Equinox, ranting and raving about teacher stuff that I can't change ... and it's autumn, and the cool breeze is blowing, there's not a cloud in the sky, and the Spirits are already edging through the Veil.

Ground. Center. Breathe. Laugh!

Here in the Northern Hemisphere, we now begin the slide into cold and darkness. But it's not something to be dreaded. The slope is beautiful, all warm colors of red and gold, and at the very bottom the light returns. This is the season of gathering ... food into the larder, or your wits about you, or both. This is the season of communing with your ancestors and respecting the deities of your place. And it's perfectly all right with us here at The Gods Are Bored if your deities are from multiple pantheons, or even the modern sort of busy gods. The cold weather teaches us humility and encourages us to consider the Higher Powers that exist around and among us.

With that in mind, I, Anne Johnson, do hereby re-dedicate myself to elemental silliness. Witnessed this day by ceramic Halloween pumpkins and lawn gnomes, consecrated at the Shrine of the Mists.

Speaking of the Shrine of the Mists ... it's located under an ancient and venerable pear tree. My devotions are  becoming dodge-ball. Or dodge-pear, more like it.

Three weeks ago, I adopted a cat who is the same color as my floor. I got this picture from Google images... my cat is actually much handsomer than this one.

 He's settling in and seems to have wit enough not to mix it with Decibel the Parrot. As for dear Decibel, he's all healed up! I will devote a post to his treatment shortly, because it was heavily influenced by magick.

The Heir and The Spare are both in good spirits, and Extra Chair is putting America's students to shame with her menu of AP Chemistry and AP Statistics, American history, world government (!) and, of course, religion. Extra Chair has expressed bafflement over why it was so important for Jesus to suffer. I'm afraid I'm no more help with her classwork for religion than I am AP Chemistry.

And so the season changes, the portals open and the faeries slide on through. Greet Them respectfully. They aren't those little buzzy cute things from Disney. They are the messengers of the bored gods. This is Their season.

And mine too.


7 comments:

Lucretia said...

I LOVE that song! And I've always wanted to see an alligator lizard in the air, but never have been that lucky...

This is my favorite season, too. All hail Fall and Winter, and their accompanying Bored Gods!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm so glad to hear that Decibel is doing better these days. Looking forward to hearing how magick helped with the cure!

yellowdoggranny said...

you softy you...

Maebius said...

Yep, now I have a new earworm song. Gee thanks Anne! ;)

Excellent news on multiple fronts. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons too, usually.

The only other comment I can make is that from what I gleaned from my own churchiness, is that Suffering was important so Jebus KNEW the penalty he was taking on. Sacrifice being "easy" isn't really Sacrifice, or something something. (this is not to agree with the whole strange paradox of the JudeoChristian God love/guilt/love/thing though)

It's like magick, you need to work at it to make it work. :)

illissemorsirion said...

Extra Chair might want to read 'A hero with a thousand faces' by Joseph Campbell. (she can get it any decent public library.) I think it would help her understand Christianity without over loading her on dogma.

-Pam

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Campbell/e/B000AQ33DK/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1380037013&sr=1-2

Anne Johnson said...

I love A Hero with a Thousand Faces! That book is all about the bored gods! Joseph Campbell was a saint. I think there are some universities named after him.

Anonymous said...

Love the imagery, thank you for making Autumn and the Slippery Slide to Darkness more understandable. :)