Thursday, April 04, 2013

Now We Are Eight!

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Eight is great! I ate on a grate. Hate being late. Bait the gate!

Ah, dear Puck. He's just one happy faerie, stopping by to celebreight the 8th anniversary of The Gods Are Bored!

My goodness, how thyme fries! (Thanks, Puck.) It's hard to believe that this little site has been active and re-active and radioactive since April of 2005.

For those of you who don't know the story, I started this blog after reading in the newspaper that a woman got $525 towards her vet bills by dog-blogging. I don't own a dog, and I haven't yet had to put adverts up here, but the idea of starting a blog appealed to me.

I figured there was enough serious stuff about Pagan paths, ancient and recent, already. So (rather by osmosis and personality) I decided that laughter is the best medicine ... so I opted for funny. You don't see "Pagan" and "funny" in the same sentence very often. Voila! My niche.

Still, there's a serious intent to The Gods Are Bored. I like to think of it as a respect issue.

All of the ancient deities that we know of have been relegated to the "m" word: myth. To me, that's just not respectful. People worshiped those deities. Our ancestors worshiped those deities. By heaving the "m" word at Zeus, we belittle those who have gone before. We suppose a progress in human worship that, frankly, I don't see.

If you think that humankind has made progress by worshiping deities that are nonviolent, how is it that we have gotten the Holocaust and 9/11? Superior and inferior deities? I'm not buying it.

Anyway, la di dah, the old TGAB archive is massive -- 1800 posts and counting! Don't congratulate me on my staying power. I just type fast.

Some highlights:

*Interviews with bored Gods and Goddesses, sometimes over tea and crimpets, sometimes far less civilized.
*Druidic praise and practice
*Interviews with the self-pitying Satan, who always wants to be called "Mr. Applegate."
*The strange and wondrous (and ongoing) saga of the mysterious Monkey Man ... who is now one of my best friends.

*Fond moments with my daughters, The Heir and The Spare.
 *Political rhetoric, shading oh so very slightly to the left ... especially in matters of organized labor.


*Mummers, faeries, snobs, kittens ... not necessarily in that order.
*And, saving the best for last *drum roll* Vulture worship for the masses! All hail the Sacred Thunderbird, Golden Purifier, Almighty Bald Buzzard!

Terms of engagement:

*I don't usually link to other sites in the middle of a sentence. It ruins the flow of the narrative. Also, I suck at computing.
*If it's a photograph, and it's on Google, I snatch it. It's a bad habit. Not my only one.
*Comments are always welcome, unless your name is Billy.
*The Gods Are Bored is now a Facebook page! Like us and get extra bonus silliness! https://www.facebook.com/TheGodsAreBored

Future goals and aspirations:

*I hope to broaden the scope of Vulture worship here in America and abroad.
*I want to make you laugh. You can already think for yourself. So let's chuckle together.

Puck says, "Onward and upward. Awning and upswing. On board and cupboard. Stop, stop! Hop on Pop!"

He's a pip. With pep.

Bright blessings to all of you who've been on this merry ride with me!

--Anne

Image: Puck, by Seitou ... original to this site! Monkey Man, Heir and Spare ... original to this site! Yeah, sometimes I do it right. Good night.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy 8th Blogoversary and may you have many, many more! Your blog has been a delight to read from the very first day I came across it about 6 years ago. I don't even remember now how I found you but I'm glad I did!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary.
Puck is an old friend.... (in eighth grade, we put on Midsummer Night's Dream, and i was the First Fairy, but I was also prompter for the rehearsals, and I discovered many years later that I still knew most of the play by heart when I tried to tell someone the plot.

Maebius said...

Eight years already?! Wow.

Kudos to you and your awesome extended family of friends and lurkers here at TGAB. I'm so very very glad I stumbled upon it so many years ago too.

Here's to 8 more years. *raises a mug of T for more GABbing online*

Cheers!
-Maebius