Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Holding pattern

My cousin cleaned out our family farmhouse. He sent me a few things:

1. Watch repair books that belonged to my grandfather (payed forward to a watch repairman)
2. My grandfather's notebooks from his year at Shippensburg Normal School in 1923.
3. The Bibles my grandparents used for their devotions. (thrown away, they were really moldy)
4. Granddad's daily diaries from 1933 to 1947. (not as moldy somehow)

Wow! A treasure trove of family diaries, from the grandparent I loved the most!

Except for one thing.

Almost all he wrote about was the weather. My grandfather was a weather freak. In his old age he found immense comfort in a newfangled thing called The Weather Channel. He watched it for hours at a time.

While I'm sorting through my life, I think it will be fun to post some of Granddad's diary entries here, just in case anyone in my family ever cares about life in Artemas, PA 17211.


On June 12, 1937 it was fair and warm in Artemas, PA. My grandfather took his family to Uncle Sam's in the morning. Granddad, Uncle Floyd, and my dad went to church at Mt. Hope in the evening. Dad and Floyd spent the night with their uncle Earl. Granddad stayed with his cousin, Palmer Robinette. His wife stayed over with her uncle Sam. Earl cut his arm pretty bad.



6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nothing -- and I mean NOTHING -- interests farmers more than the weather. I'm not surprised at your Granddad's diaries. Good weather brings crop success. Bad weather brings a hungry year.

alex Pendragon said...

Thank the Bored Gods you are back!

Unknown said...

I think the world would be a better place if people were more concerned about the weather than the drama BS that flies around FB these days.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm familiar with the weather fascination..

Lori F - MN said...

Thank the gods you are here. And I too think more people should pay more attention to the weather than FB or what the gossip rags have to say.

Anonymous said...

To make old books more desirable, fan them open and place them outside on a hot sunny day (convenient for you, that will be the balance of this week). The heat will take most of the odor out and if there are bugs, when the sun goes down, place the book in a zip lock bag for a few days. Then you will be able to enjoy your book. I learned this when I cleaned out Ginny's books.
Wanda