Thursday, January 27, 2011

When It's Good To Live in Snobville

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where we got a little over a foot of snow in five hours last night. We're talking thunder snow. It was nuts.

Before we got the snow, we had about an hour of sleet. Needless to say, today is a snow day...

Only one more snow day before the Fairie Festival is impacted....

Anyway, I'm a sucker for a snow day. Here's what I like about them.

*All of the neighbors I never get to see come out to shovel. It's an impromptu block party without the pasta salad. And since so many of us who were shoveling this morning are secondary earners in the education field, we had a great gabfest about Governor Fat Ass and his assault on the public school teachers who are the second best in the nation.

*I have a neighbor named Mr. F who is a gadget junkie. He can be really annoying with his leaf blower in the fall. But when a heavy snow falls, and the plow double-buries the cars, Mr. F is a Gods send. He has a heavy duty snow blower, and he loves to use it. He cleared my driveway. Now I'm making him brownies.

*Other than the plowed-in driveway, the rest of the shoveling fell to me. Mr. J is ill, and Spare is a wee little thing. She opted to clean up the kitchen and make lunch. So out I went to ply the snow shovel.

When I first moved to Snobville,  I was so dismayed about the tiny little property. I can sit at my dining room table and see my neighbor making her supper next door. If the windows are open, we can converse. Tight quarters.

But when a foot of heavy snow falls, how much sidewalk and driveway do you want to be responsible for? I'll tell you: not much more than I have.

I'm a Cailleach of a certain age, not in very good shape, and I cleared the front porch, sidewalk, and cars (and around the cars) all by myself. Without Mr. F's help I would still be out there, wrestling with the heaviest piles. But as it was, I got my little section of sidewalk all done in about two hours. Came in and took the Advil right away.

And oh, is it lovely this morning on my street! The thick snow is coating all the branches and shrouding everything on the ground. Kids are strutting by with their sleds, all dressed in bright winter wear. The sun has come out, and everything looks so shiny and clean!

When my Fairie Festival plans become impacted by this unusually snowy weather pattern, I will look back on mornings like this one and remember that big snowstorms have their special sweetness. The bright sheen of snow against sky, the kindness of neighbors, the joy of two hours' extra sleep.

We take what we can out of life. Snow days are gifts. Blessed be to Beautiful Sedna for sending them!

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Woo hoo! Praying to Sedna is paying off! Sorry you have to shovel snow but there's a price for everything, isn't there?

Anonymous said...

Yes my dear that was one wicked storm last night. Our house was shaking from the wind. Snow day here in Central Jersey/Jersey Shore and we've already been out for 2 hours building a snow fort for an epic snowball battle with the neighborhood kids. I love Winter so much I want to marry it and make little snowy babies : )

Alex Pendragon said...

And still we have yet to see a flake here in "sunny" Florida.....sigh......

yellowdoggranny said...

my bucket list:
1. make snow angels..

kimc said...

It's sunny and moderately warm here in Northern California. It did get below freezing at least once this winter though....
Snow can be fun if you're dressed for it. I'm just glad I never have to drive in it.

Unknown said...

I saw this link and had to post it:
http://www.metafilter.com/99988/SNOW-DAY

I hope that's useful to you...