Friday, September 03, 2010

Fridays with Jeffers

In honor of International Vulture Awareness Day, a poem by Robinson Jeffers.
Photo by Birdchick

Vulture

I had walked since dawn and lay down to rest on a bare hillside
Above the ocean. I saw through half-shut eyelids a vulture wheeling high up in heaven,
And presently it passed again, but lower and nearer, its orbit narrowing, I understood then
That I was under inspection. I lay death-still and heard the flight-feathers
Whistle above me and make their circle and come nearer.
I could see the naked red head between the great wings
Bear downward staring. I said, “My dear bird, we are wasting time here.
These old bones will still work; they are not for you.” But how beautiful he looked, gliding down
On those great sails; how beautiful he looked, veering away in the sea-light over the precipice. I tell you solemnly
That I was sorry to have disappointed him. To be eaten by that beak and become part of him, to share those wings and those eyes–
What a sublime end of one’s body, what an enskyment; what a life after death.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"enskyment" -- what a wonderful word! Great poem, just great!

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..pretty cool..

Hecate said...

I love that! Thank you.

Alex Pendragon said...

dubayou oh dubayou!