Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Laugh or Go Nuts

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" Canape, anyone? No? How about some pickled pigs' feet?

Today the students at my school sprinted out to their buses, headed for summer vacation. I too thought I would get a little reprieve, in which I intended to read up on teaching skills, create models for my classroom, etc. And of course I was looking forward to blogging and reading your blogs and all that! Teaching is known for its summer vacations, after all.

Instead, at 8:00 in the morning of the final day of the school year, I learned that I will be expected to attend seminars three days a week, beginning July 7 and lasting through the rest of the summer. I will be paid for these seminars, but they are not open to negotiation. I should have been told about them two months ago, but my division supervisor (who was fired this spring) never mentioned them to me.

Bit of a nasty shock. Until I took stock and recalled that I have a job. It's not the "Tab A fits into Slot B" perfect job for me, but it's a job. So I get one week off and then go back to work in the "Rigor and Excellence" workshop for first-year teachers.

Why am I feeling like I'd rather go to the "Rigor (Mortis) Is Excellent" workshop for buzzards?

8 comments:

Alex Pendragon said...

Yea, my job didn't bother to mention to me that I was supposed to have a license until a bit after the deadline for filing for one. THAT was an interesting week!

Vivienne Grainger said...

Um ... because you'd get to hang with turkey buzzards at the first, and they'll still be at the second, but are likely to be disguised by penny loafers?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Be strong! So long as none of them are taught by Mr. Bigwand, you'll be fine!

Intense Guy said...

Something tells me you will see a bunch of rigor mortis anyway...

PaigeKate said...

That sucks! On the brightside though, you'll still have four days to relax and have fun, but it still would've been nice if someone had bothered to tell you.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh no!...schools NOT out for summer

Maeve said...

So do you have to go 3 days in a row, or did they do something mean and nasty like MWF?

Glad you've got a job, but that really sucks to find out at the last minute you have seminars to attend.

Lori F - MN said...

That SO stinks! But it could be worse. It could be 5 days a week. But what if you had already made expensive reservations for a really nice cruise or something. Nice to be notified in a timely fashion