Monday, May 03, 2010

Back to Reality

Welcome to "The Gods Are Not Bored at Fairie Festival!"

Naah. That doesn't sound so kicky. Short and sweet is my motto.

My sister and my daughter The Spare and I had a wonderful time at the 2010 May Day Fairie Festival at Spoutwood Farm. The weather was a tad on the warm side ....

... rephrase. It was hot as Midsummer, and just as humid. I tried my best to keel over with heatstroke in my Mountain Tribe attire (pictured, note the tie-dye and awesome face paint). And I came close, so close. But every time I started to see stars, some faerie named Jeff was at my side with a bottle of water. Jeff joined the Mountain Tribe and became a faithful follower. True to my ineptitude, I never found out his last name, nor did he hear about this blog.

In addition to all the fantastic fun at the fest, it was my privilege to do a Ritual with the AODA Archdruid, John Michael Greer. A few of us who wanted a (relatively) serious moment of reflection convened at a nearby farm that had an amazingly splendid Ritual space atop a high hill. The owner of the property maintains the Ritual site (unaffiliated with any particular Path), as well as an indoor sanctuary of unsurpassed luminosity and imagination. Viewing the indoor sanctuary, both Spare and I said, "I would SO want this in my house!"

Spare and I attempted to lead the Mountain Tribe. Alas, we were so busy that we didn't get to take a single picture! Try as we might (and we tried almost till we keeled), we were hard pressed to find a dozen Mountain Tribers each day. This has led me to the brilliant conclusion that, from now on, Spare and I will be proud to lead the smallest Tribe. It will be our point of distinction.

On Saturday the Fairie Festival was greeted, as usual, with some small band of Pentecostal Christians who spew venom upon the festival-goers, using signs and megaphones. Many merry counter-protests ensued, including Spare and me. We performed our peerless "Jabberwocky" for the people waiting in line to get inside. Personally I have found "Jabberwocky" to be a favorite poem of the faeries, and it totally disarmed the negative energy put out by the protesters.

Here is a picture of Spare, me, and my sis during a rare moment of reflection. I sure hope someone I know took some photos of Spare in her gooey Winter Faerie dress. She looked stunning.

I will write more about the festival tomorrow, or soon. Stay tuned, because those protesters said some funny stuff. And I said some sweet stuff, but just now I'm too tired to type anymore.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to hear what the protesters said! Oh, so exciting. Haha.

Seems like it was fun!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a blast! Love the hat in the last picture!

Lavanah said...

I am sooo glad that your sister attended with you and a good time was had by all. I look forward to hearing more!

Anonymous said...

The Protesters never showed up on Sunday. I guess it was too hot for them! I got photos of you and the Spare from Sunday. They're still on my camera but I hope to download them this weekend, when I do I'll email them too you.

Mountain Tribe ForEver!

~Illisse/Pam

Maebius said...

have to copy this here, since I'm in that kind of mood...

Twas beltaine, and the fairie grove
Did shine and sparkle like the waves:
All mimsy were the kiddie troves,
And the mom sats in shade.

"Beware the JohnsonAnne, my friends!
The smile thats bright, the hugs that catch!
Beware the Jubjub Spare, not shun
The wonderous Mountain Clan[ch]!"

We took our crystal shard in hand:
Long time the manxome Tribe we sought --
So rested we by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought we stood,
The JohnsonAnne, with eyes aflame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as she came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The Tribes all chanted snicker-snack!
We joined in song, after not long
and Galumphing echoed back. (KUBIANDO!)

"And, has thou enjoyed the Faerie Fest?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
We chortled in our joy.

Twas beltaine, and the fairie grove
Did shine and sparkle like the waves:
All mimsy were the kiddie troves,
And the mom sats in shade.

yellowdoggranny said...

oh man..i so want to be there next year..sigh*