Monday, June 15, 2009

Something a Little Different Today

One of my students wrote a rap and gave it to me all folded up. Here are the last few lines:

Thank you Mrs. Johnson for being true
have a good summer and stay cool
I'll be happy to see you next year in this school


The rap is much longer, but I don't want to violate his privacy. So here's a response to him that I will copy and paste into an email.

My students would be surprised
how much I think about them when I'm not at school.
I wonder, what happens to them when they go home?
Are they safe? Are they happy?
I wasn't when I was in high school. Life is tough that way.

I hope my students live to the year 2200.
I hope they earn more money than they need to pay the bills.
I hope they laugh more than they cry,
and when they cry I hope it makes them feel better.

The world's a monster waiting to swallow you up,
but you just have to suck it up and keep fighting,
fly under the radar,
believe in magic.
The good die young, but so do the bad.
Take cover, keep warm, watch your back, family first.
I never thought I would like teaching school,
but poems like yours make me feel like I'm cool.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Wonderful poem, I am sure your student will appreciate your response.

Reading your posts about teaching is always interesting and often thought provoking, as most of your posts are!

Your students are lucky to have a caring person in their lives, though I am sure you would say you get as much from them as they do from you.

yellowdoggranny said...

it's nice to see the sharing of love..

buddydon said...

grate pome,speshly the last bit: "The good die young, but so do the bad. Take cover, keep warm, watch your back, family first." wurds to live yer life by.

dawtch said...

I agree with BuddyDon....thank you for sharing :)
bb
dawtch

Maeve said...

Aw, that made me cry! You are an awesome person Anne.

Maebius said...

what an awesome teacher you are Anne. :)