Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Four, as in Quarters

Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," o ye of varied faiths! It's time for a party!

My, how time flies. Today is the fourth anniversary of the founding of "The Gods Are Bored."

One morning in April, 2005 I read a newspaper story about blogging. It wasn't the first I'd read, but something in it caught my eye. The story said that a woman blogger got enough money from her readers to pay the vet bills for her dog's surgery.

I looked down at my cat, Alpha, and I said, "You know, vets can be expensive."

So I went upstairs, sat down at my desk, and created this blog.

I called it "The Gods Are Bored" because I'm a firm believer in native faith patterns and the stories that go with them. Every time someone is persuaded to leave a localized religion to become part of a bigger, worldwide religion, some God or Goddess loses attention. And the deity who steals the worshipper away gets busier and busier, wealthier and wealthier, starts pushing everyone around, trying to make everyone think alike. Does it work? No, people just start arguing about what that busy deity wants them to do. And the deity is too busy to mediate.

Better to have left those worshippers with their original deities.



I'm a firm believer in the power of humor. It really is a good medicine. That's why this little column is rarely serious and often downright ridiculous -- Medusa on hair care, Satan claiming he didn't read the fine print on his contract, supersized flatware, God's bitter ex, faerie mayhem, priceless moments in the megachurch, and valuable free advice on upholstery maintenance.

Does Anne live a charmed life? Oh hell no. But why whine about it? Laugh, and the world laughs with you.

Or in the case of this household, Laugh, and Decibel the Parrot screams at you.

SOMEONE PLEASE SHUT THAT BIRD UP!

Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

sageweb said...

wow four years, congratulations!
I love reading your blog for your humor and your creativity.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Blogoversary! May you have many, many more!

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't think I've been a reader the entire 4 years but so glad I found you..one of my favorite places to come..give decibel a cracker.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

One of my favourite places, too!

Gods save us from unrelenting seriousness of face!

Love,
Terri in Joburg

buddydon said...

how nice that ye dun made yer four years! tiz one of my faverts stops on the web. cungrats!

Hecate said...

Many happy returns of the day!

Maebius said...

Wow, 4 years! Happy anniversary.
And when I first loaded this page up, I had to do a double-take. Our son inherited a plastic play-kitchen thingy stocked with plastic foods a few years ago. One of the favorite bits of food is THOSE CAKE & CANDLES you pictured. We still have them. :)

Alex Pendragon said...

Thank YOU for writing this thing. My world just hasn't been quite the same since I found this blog. By the way, have you earned enough money via this blog yet to have Decibel muted?


The verification for today was CONES........interesting.......

Servitor Lucem said...

Happy Anniversary. I'm a fairly new reader here, but I do enjoy your blog.
I also would've left this sooner, but I was away...