Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I'm Not Really Voting for Thomas Jefferson


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" This is the first Election Day for this blog. What do I say?

If you're a longtime reader of "The Gods Are Bored," you know I take a dim view of democracy, because it imposes no test of mental capacity in order to cast a vote. Trust me, there are end-term Alzheimer's patients who will vote today, thinking that they're casting a ballot for Gerald Ford or Lyndon Johnson. The people who "help" them will be very helpful indeed.

If this sounds cynical, it's not. My sister saw to it that my father voted in the last election. Dad went off with the faeries three months later, convinced he'd cast his final ballot for Eisenhower.

That said, we are given the right (sort of) to choose our representatives. So we should do it. It is a civic obligation.

We are sure to see history made today. Either the nation will elect a president of color or a female vice-president. Don't believe the polls! It's going to be close.

As for me and my house, we will call upon the bored gods of Kenya in their North American incarnations and petition their aid in the elevation of Barack Obama to the presidency. Because as much as we would love it to be the case, there's really no separation of church and state in this country -- only the possibility that some religions cancel out others in the power struggle.
Continued safety to you, Candidate Obama. May it be the will of the bored gods!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted this morning and I'm just finishing off my free Starbucks. Now I just get to be nervous all day and obsessively check the news sites when I should be working.

There were Obama volunteers everywhere, Obama signs, Obama posters, giant Obama chalk-graffiti on the sidewalk - I could not look around without seeing something or someone that was for Obama. One of my neighbors has an entire Obama shrine in his yard, including a row of cheerleader Barbies arrayed around an Obama sign and a stuffed polar bear with a sign that says "Save me from Sarah Palin!" It's cute.

It's totally unsurprising that West Philadelphia would go for the Democratic canididate, but the sheer intensity of devotion all around really took me aback. It reminded me of how last week, everyone had Phillies gear on - now it's all been switched out for Obama gear.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I've got my fingers, toes and eyes crosses that Sen. Obama wins. I just can't stand the thought of Palin in the White House. McCain I could somewhat deal with (but don't want to). But Palin is my vision of what Satan would be like, if I believed in him.

I'm lighting a candle.

sageweb said...

I voted and now the wait. I am nervous of all get out.

Thalia said...

I voted too! My place even had chocolate!

I've already decided on several projects I am going to do my best to immerse myself in for the four and a half hours until 8pm my time, when I will switch on the tv and remained glued to it till sometime after midnight.

Nervous? No, not at all!!

miakoda said...

It's a lovely day in Indiana today, almost 75F and gorgeously sunny. On my way back to work after hitting the polls, I went through the drive-through at McDonald's, and the old gent handing out the bags held my food hostage until I assured him I had just come from voting. He gave me The Look and said, "I hope you made the right choice..." I laughed and, "Are you kidding? It's a beautiful day for a revolution!" The wide, toothless grin on that wrinkled old face was the most beautiful thing I've seen in weeks.

It's making me nervous that there was no wait at the polls, though. We're a battleground for the first time in almost 50 years, so where is everybody? I heard that 25% of the voters did so early here, but judging by today's turnout so far, I'm worried that people think Obama's already got it wrapped up, and they don't need to vote. (I do live in what may be the only traditionally Democratic city in the state, I think.)

If you have a spare moment today, put a bug in the ears of some bored gods to inspire Indiana, please. Y'know. Just to be safe. :)

yellowdoggranny said...

i voted then took margaret and mary to vote for the first time in their lives.(77 and 63)...everyone had big grins on their faces..and if obamam doesn't win, im going to go get drunk..fuck my 18 year anniversary.

Anonymous said...

i Voted to day. Butt I didnit vote four eisenhower. I put an X in the box next to, down three lines and over two colmms for JFK. good think my pills were working er I might have had trouble.
KD
;-)

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Congrats America, and Well Done those Bored Gods!

Love,
Terri listening in in Joburg

Souris Optique said...

Woot! The bored gods are mighty!