Monday, September 03, 2007

Bring it On


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored!" If you're just joining us for the first time, here's the nut graph: All gods and goddesses are welcome, respected, and served first at the buffet. This maximizes Anne's chances of having more fun after death than she has had before it.

I'm a true omni-theist who attended Saturday's Pagan Pride Day with my Druid Grove while still nodding respectfully to the Muslims and the Old Order Mennonites. (PPD in Philly was held at a lovely urban park which was also hosting a flea market, a farmer's market, and some kind of weird thing where about 100 boys ran amok swatting each other with foam lances.)

I love buzzards. Always have, always will. It's my philosophy that if you look at anything close-up enough, it will become beautiful in your sight. Go ahead, study a turkey vulture and see if I'm not right.

Tomorrow I begin another long-term substitute teaching position at Billy Bob Agricultural Technical School. For the munificent sum of $100 a day, I must prepare for and teach four separate classes. They are: Workplace Readiness (seniors), Office -- Career and Leadership Development -- Keyboarding (freshmen). Except for Keyboarding, this is a classic case of "those who can't do, teach." I haven't worked in an office since 1987. And if I knew the Ps and Qs of workplace readiness, wouldn't I have a real job? The staff of BBATS didn't think I was properly qualified to teach writing. Better hone those skills.

Did you hear? Miracles happen. The mighty Michigan Wolverines got beaten by the humble Appalachian State Mountaineers! Wow, I would have loved to have watched that football game, but Spare and I were at Pagan Pride Day.

Also ... a Wiccan dude won the mega-million lottery! I just read it in the newspaper. At least we know that 10 percent of that payout won't go to the Mormon church!

I'm gonna be a busy beaver, readers, but this little weblog is an important part of my day. So stop by. Read my posts. Laugh a little. Partake of the big, broad, flexible outlook, and see if it doesn't cure that pesky case of athlete's foot.

10 Comments:

At September 03, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading you is an important part of my day! Hang in there, Sister!

Hecate

 
At September 03, 2007 , Blogger Interrobang said...

Good luck with your new job. Don't let the marking get you down.

If you need some help with the "workplace readiness" thing, give me a holler in the comments at my blog, or at shgstewart at gmail dot com. :)

 
At September 03, 2007 , Anonymous mama kelly said...

Congratulations on the long-term substitute job. I know it isnt what you had hoped for though.

I also read about the Wiccan mega-millions winner and was thrilled about it.

Mama Kelly

 
At September 04, 2007 , Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I like you Anne, you're not like all the other folks here in the trailer park!

Best wishes on your endeavors.

 
At September 05, 2007 , Blogger Rosie said...

Hey Anne!

I was going through my Cherokee Tales today and ran across the legend of Why the Buzzard's Head is Bare...and immediately thought of you.

Glad you found a bit of gainful-ish employment. Of course you aren't qualified to teach writing...what, being a writer and all. That would make way too much sense.

 
At September 05, 2007 , Anonymous alex fyodorov said...

congrats, Anne, rubles are rubles. i once heard a bus driver talk about how happy he was to have a job. it didn't matter to him what job it was. as long as he was working, he was happy.

 
At September 05, 2007 , Anonymous alex fyodorov said...

http://www.thehungersite.com

 
At September 05, 2007 , Blogger buddydon said...

i hope ye find sumbidy that kin preciate yer ritin, witch tiz sum grate stuff that i try to read ever day. as fer teachin, tiz a shame whut they thank ye kin teach n whut they thank ye caint! wunder whut they wood say ifn ye had a best seller? i bet ye gut at lease one in ye!

 
At September 06, 2007 , Anonymous Thomas said...

The thing with the foam lances is called LARPing. I did a lot of it in high school before I discovered sex and avoiding arrest.

 
At September 12, 2007 , Blogger Anne Johnson said...

Yeah, it did look like a pre-sex kind of ritual. Gotta do something with that mojo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home