Monday, August 06, 2007

More Pumpkin Questions

Okay, I should have been more specific about my inability to grow a pumpkin. I have two vines that have shown themselves recently. They have yellow flowers on them. I don't care what size the pumpkin is that grows from the vine, but once I had a pumpkin vine that covered my yard and was bright with flowers but never fruited. Do I have to pluck the unwanted flowers?

I have better luck with tomatoes. And mugwort, and jewel weed. If you need mugwort or jewel weed, call me right away.

3 comments:

Elvis Drinkmo said...

I hate to sound like a braggart, Anne, but we just throw our pumpkin seeds out in the garden area and have pumpkins in the fall.

I would recommend against too much fertilizer, though. I noticed as far as tomatoes go that it works great for the green, but not so great for the fruit.

BBC said...

As I recall, they have to be properly germinated, sexed if you will. If the bees or wind isn't doing that you need to take a Q tip and transfer some pollen from a male flower on the vine to a female flower on the vine.

I don't recall if both flowers look the same, but I know that is what you have to do. It's the same with all members of the squash family.

All I grow here is aloe vera plants inside. and weeds and that monster of an apple tree that mocks me outside. Need any apples?

Hecate said...

Don't pick the flowers or you won't get pumpkins! You can use a Q-tip to, um, help the plants have sex. Good luck!