Monday, August 06, 2007

More Pumpkin Questions

Okay, I should have been more specific about my inability to grow a pumpkin. I have two vines that have shown themselves recently. They have yellow flowers on them. I don't care what size the pumpkin is that grows from the vine, but once I had a pumpkin vine that covered my yard and was bright with flowers but never fruited. Do I have to pluck the unwanted flowers?

I have better luck with tomatoes. And mugwort, and jewel weed. If you need mugwort or jewel weed, call me right away.

3 Comments:

At August 06, 2007 , Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

I hate to sound like a braggart, Anne, but we just throw our pumpkin seeds out in the garden area and have pumpkins in the fall.

I would recommend against too much fertilizer, though. I noticed as far as tomatoes go that it works great for the green, but not so great for the fruit.

 
At August 06, 2007 , Blogger BBC said...

As I recall, they have to be properly germinated, sexed if you will. If the bees or wind isn't doing that you need to take a Q tip and transfer some pollen from a male flower on the vine to a female flower on the vine.

I don't recall if both flowers look the same, but I know that is what you have to do. It's the same with all members of the squash family.

All I grow here is aloe vera plants inside. and weeds and that monster of an apple tree that mocks me outside. Need any apples?

 
At August 07, 2007 , Blogger Hecate said...

Don't pick the flowers or you won't get pumpkins! You can use a Q-tip to, um, help the plants have sex. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home